Monday, November 22, 2010

Update...no products

I wanted to post a quick update on how the weight loss is coming along. Things are going in the right direction. This weight management class I've been attending is close to wrapping up and I have to say that I am very happy that I took part in it. I've known what I should and should not be doing for a while now, but this was the right push that I needed.

As of last week, I was down 17 pounds. I'm hoping for 3 more by next Wednesday, but if it doesn't happen, I'm quite alright with what I've accomplished. Everything just feels better (well, except for my feet which haven't seen this much running in years). Next Wednesday I will get my body fat and some circumference measurements taken which will really show me how much progress I've made.

I'm not sure how much I mentioned it before, but a big part of this class was food logging. That is, to write down everything that you eat and drink. It was really important for me to do because it made me accountable for how many calories I was consuming in a day. Also it was handy to use as a check that I am getting a well balanced supply of food (grains, veggies, fruits, milk, protein, etc). It's easy to forget some of these categories but its important that you keep them in your meals. Since the class is almost over and I don't see myself food logging for the rest of my life, I'm taking the last two weeks off. I'm still being mindful of what and how much I'm eating, I'm just not writing it down. So far I'm doing well. If I need to manage what I'm doing more stringently in the future, its a tool that I will go back to.

Speaking of tools, I wanted to mention the Panera website. I'm not sure how many of you eat at Panera, but I love the place. The only problem is that some of their products sound like they would be smart choices for someone watching their weight, but in reality they are not. This is where the website (and their new menus) come in handy. You can see the calorie count for just about everything they offer. In the store, the majority of the menu has the calories shown but online you can see everything (including the bakery). Its really useful and I encourage you to take a look at it and use it as needed.

Last week a few coworkers wanted to run out to Panera for coffee and a pastry (since many of us had a free one on our Panera Card). Prior to heading out, I looked over the website nutritional page and picked out a pastry that was lower in calories than most of the rest. Now, some might say, just don't have the pastry if you are watching calories... I somewhat agree, but also, don't restrict yourself so much that don't have a treat once in a while. Its good for the mind (even if not great for the body). I picked out a muffie (one of the muffin tops) which is about half the calories of the full muffin. I ate the whole thing found it to be quite satisfying. I know if I had gotten the whole muffin and cut it in half, I would have been satisfied and probably would have eaten the other half later in the day.

So, I guess the important thing I want to say is to use the tools out there to help you make decisions on what to eat and to keep track of what you are eating. Honestly, it helps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home