Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Shrimp with Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Chive

Its time I got back to preparing dishes of a healthier sort. Today I present Shrimp with Broccoli and Cauliflower in a lemon-butter Chive sauce.

The simplicity of this meal is that the vegetables and the sauce come packaged together. Bird's Eye recently introduced a new line of frozen vegetables called The Herb Garden Collection. If you click on that link you can find out about other varieties. I've tried them all but for the green beans and the mushrooms and liked every variety. Each box of vegies comes with a little packet of seasoning that adds great flavor to the vegetables. Its suggested that you cook the vegetables in the microwave (they tend to take about 6 minutes) and then add the seasonings at the end.

For my dish I quickly thawed precooked, frozen, deveined shrimp (which I pulled the tails off) and added them to the vegetables in their last minute of being microwaved. I did this to just get a little warmth to the shrimp. All that was left was to mix it all together with the seasoning packet. To finish off the plate I cut a slice of whole wheat bread into wedges which I ended up using to make little shrimp sandwiches of a sort.

I'm not sure about the nutritional stats right now, but I know that this was a healthy mix of protein, carbs, and a little fat; and best of all, it tasted great. By the way, I made a larger portion than would be normal. I used 1 box of vegetables and about 27 shrimp which split in half would be enough for two to share (I would probably serve with some brown rice on the side instead of the bread in that case).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home