Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Banana Muffins (from a cake mix)

So what do you do when you have new silicone bakeware and 3 "soon-to-be-overripe" bananas? You make banana muffins.

I had the option of looking up a recipe for banana bread and measuring ingredients and such or I could just find a cake mix in the cupboard that was pretty neutral towards banana and use that. I chose the latter. Cake mixes just make things so much easier to not mess up and for the most part, measurements aren't all that necessary.

I started by pre-heating my oven to 350 degrees and lined up the new bakeware on some cookie sheets. The big 9x9" probably wouldn't need to be put on a baking sheet but it makes it easier to move into and out of the oven. I peeled the 3 bananas and put them in the mixing bowl. While those were being mixed into a mush, I chopped about a cup worth of walnuts. To the mashed bananas I added 3 eggs and maybe a 1/4 cup of oil (I just poured a little bit into the bowl). I then added the whole bag of cake mix and about a cup of water to bowl a little at a time letting them mix in before adding more. The consistency looked right once everything was combined so I let the mixer run for a couple minutes then added the chopped walnuts and just stirred those in.

The batter was spooned into the mini-muffin pans and the bigger muffin cups and the left over went into the square pan. They all went into the oven and baked for about 20 minutes (the mini-muffins came out earlier than the rest).

The muffins came out very moist and had a lot of banana flavor. The mini-muffins turned out to be a lot like those Hostess Mini-Muffins, but much more natural tasting.

For something that I whipped up really quickly and on a whim these turned out really well. And unlike the lasagna, most of these came to work with me today so I won't be eating them for the next week.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now, just to be an asshole...

i just want to confirm your new bakeware. is it silicon or silicone? big difference between the two. one is glass and the other is like teflon. anywho, looks yummy

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Its silicone, just like it says....


;-)

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, when I cook mini muffin in teh silicone trays they do not seen to rise, where as the left over put into standard size old fashioned pan (metal) come out good. Are you supposed to adjust the cooking temp? or position? or other? And if yes how? Thanks

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Yea, that is part of the problem with the silicone bakeware, you don't tend to get the same rise that would with a metal pan. I've heard that it has to do with the batter not being able to cling to the edges. I don't know of a good way around this.

If you are looking for a light and fluffy muffin, I would avoid using the silicone pans. There might be a way to make it work the same, but I haven''t looked into it. My gut feeling would be to raise the cooking temperature (at least initially) so that the outer edges can rise. Then you can drop the temperature for the rest of the baking. The good thing with the silicone is that they won't easiliy burn.

So, my final words for the silicone pans are that if you dont want a dense muffin, don't use silicone. I hope that helped, somewhat.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger lama said...

Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!
How to Use Silicone Bakeware. Silicone bakeware is high-tech and easy to store and clean, which makes it an appealing option to many bakers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home