Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Pierogies!!!

This past weekend I went to my first ever pierogi making party. Even though I had to drive 2 hours to get to the festivities (which for me is quite a challenge), I am had a great time. My friend Naladahc has posted a recap of the party on his blog (just click on his name).

We made 4 different types of pierogies: potato and cheese, kapusta (a polish sweet and sour kraut), beef and dill, and some blueberry dessert ones. Nala had made all of the fillings prior to the start of the party (except for the blueberry which was canned pie filling).

We started by making the dough which consists of flour, salt, egg, water, and sour cream. The dough was then rolled out with the help of a pasta roller. We tried rolling some by hand but got much better consistency with the pasta maker. Once rolled out rather thin we cut the dough in circles and handed them off to be stuffed. I got the rolling technique down pretty well so I mostly worked on that. Once all the dough was rolled out everyone went to help fill.

After the pierogies were filled and sealed they were boiled for about 5 minutes then quickly frozen. Of course we had to try some to make sure that they tasted good so we pan fried them in butter and onions.

So far I've tried all 4 combinations and they are all great.

It was a very time consuming project but wasn't that difficult. I might even try to make some on my own if I can get my hands on a pasta roller.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Gigamatt said...

I was wondering if you'd ever post about it. I've been watching eBay for a pasta roller. One of the ones we used was selling for around $20 at Target.com (sold out, unfortunately), so now I'm looking at ebay for alternatives. Under no circumstances should you pay more than $25, except with shipping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home