Monday, November 21, 2005

Pineapple-Coconut Cake


A few weeks ago I picked up a pineapple cake mix since it was on sale and it was new (at least I don't recalling seeing it before). This was an actual pineapple cake mix, not a pineapple upside-down cake mix (even though the box says that you can make an upside-down cake from this mix).

Last night I was looking through my cupboards to decide what to make and I saw the cake mix and thought that I would give it a try. But since I do not like to make just a plain cake I kept searching the cupboards and ran across a can of coconut milk and a can of crushed pineapple. The coconut milk was purchased months ago for a future Thai meal that never happened and as for the pineapple, I don't even remember buying it. So getting back to the cake. I looked at the ingredient list on the box and decided I would substitute the 1 cup of water with 1 cup of coconut milk. Oil and eggs were also required for the cake and I did not adjust those.

The cake baked up well in 2 9" pans. I've lately been using the "non-stick sprayed parchment paper in the bottom of the pan" method and that has made removing the cake from the pan so easy.

I decided that the cake should also be iced with Cool Whip since a light icing seemed the most appropriate. But this time I made sure to let the cakes fully cool before icing (unlike the peppermint cake). For the icing in between the cake layers I mixed the Cool Whip with the crushed pineapple. Once iced all over I sprinkled some toasted coconut over the top.

I'm really happy with this one. It's a very "light" cake as compared to the "Peppermint Dreams" cake of a few posts ago and that's a good thing since its almost Thanksgiving.

There wasn't much by way of a recipe for this one other than substituting coconut milk for water but if you want more details on how I made the cake just let me know.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Gigamatt said...

I think I might make this one, as you did. Of course, I might make a square cake, since Nala's not eating desserts, and squares are easier to freeze in individual (or 2 giant serving) portions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home