Thursday, June 01, 2006

Shrimp and Scallop Skewers

I apologize again for the lack of a picture. I was all set to take a picture of the skewers on the grill last night and quickly realized that I left my digital camera at work. If I pick more of these up, I will take a picture later.

I was at Giant Eagle the other night and while looking at the frozen shrimp section saw a package of shrimp and scallop skewers. They had 3 varieties, a plain version, a garlic/butter version, and a garlic and spice (I think) version. After looking at the nutritional stats, I picked up a bag of the plain variety. The other ones were not all that bad, but they were pretty high in sodium. I think the pack was on sale for $4.99 (but that could be the regular price, I'm not 100% sure). In the pack, there were 5 skewers which they say are 2.5 servings. From the size of the shrimp and scallops, I think 2 skewers would work as a serving.

The package had a few different cooking options, but the quickest and I think easiest of the 3 was to grill them. I had let them thaw during the day and they were ready to go by dinner. Since it was just shrimp and scallops, they took no time to cook on the grill. I think the package said 2 minutes per side.

They had a really good taste. The scallops were still tender and the shrimp was cooked perfectly. I could have used these to make a fancy plated meal, but I just pulled everything off the skewers and chowed down. These aren't bad for the price. I'm sure that I could get the shrimp and bay scallops from the fish counter and put them on my own skewers for less money, but for the convenience (and since I was only making 5 skewers), these are a great.

If you see them at the grocery store, give them a try. If you try one of the other varieties, let me know what you think of them.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds yummy. An urbanite, I don't get to Giant Eagle much, but Dave's Ohio City has a pretty good seafood section. So does the West Side Market.

Speaking of the WSM, do you ever head there? It's a foodies paradies.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Oh yea, I love the WSM. I usually only get a chance to go on Saturday; and I don't go all that often. It can be a little overwhelming sometimes. I try to have a list or at least a very clear idea in my head of what I'm looking for before I go.

And speaking of Giant Eagle. I had planned on a couple posts about these Shark Kababs and Jumbo Shrimp which I purchased last Sunday (the shark was cooked that day, the shrimp the next), however they were not worth writing about.

Actually, they were worse than not worth writing about. I'm certain that there was something not right with them (I suspect it involved a lack of rinsing off surfaces after disinfectant, since all smelled like disinfectant.) Regardless, I'm getting my money back for them the next time I go to the store.

But anyway, back on topic. The WSM is awesome and everyone needs to go sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home