Friday, May 19, 2006

Trader Joe's Cranberry Almond Stuffed Chicken Breast

I took the easy way out last night and made this for dinner. Both the chicken breast and the green beans came out of the freezer. I picked up the stuffed chicken breast a few weeks ago at Trader Joe's for $2.99. If I had tried to make this from scratch I probably could have made it for less, but since I'm just cooking for myself, this is easier and more economical. The chicken with the stuffing is vacuum sealed then frozen so it looks like it would keep for a while in the freezer.

Once thawed, I cooked the chicken in the toaster oven for about 45 minutes. I used a digital thermometer to make sure that the internal temperature was over 165 F before taking it out. The package says that the chicken should only take about 25 minutes in an oven, so I think the extra time was a result of using the toaster oven and that the inside of the stuffing probably wasn't fully thawed. The green beans went directly from a box in the freezer to a bowl in the microwave. 5 minutes later, they were done.

I was a bit worried about how the chicken would turn out since I had to cook it longer than the package said, but it was still very moist. The stuffing had great flavor and was seasoned very well.

For its simplicity alone I would buy another of these stuffed chicken breasts. It had great flavor, is actually not that bad for you, and was easy to prepare. If you're out at Trader Joe's, give it a try sometime (but you might want to let it thaw in the fridge for a day, instead of doing the one hour quick thaw that is suggested on the package).

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yums! I've seen that at Trader Joe's before and will have to try it now.

Do you like ginger? If so, next time you are there pick up a pint of the Fresh Ginger Gelato they sell. It's friggin' heaven at 0 degrees celcius!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I've been staying away from ice cream as of late, but maybe I'll pick some up for a special treat.

Also at Trader Joe's is a Mandarin Orange Chicken dish. I had it for a couple meals earlier this week. $4.99, 22 oz. package, tastes just like takeout, but is a whole lot healthier.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger holly_44109 said...

I had TJ's chicken teriyaki stir fry last week (frozen in a bag) and it was really good - just make a side of rice and dinner is done.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Alright Tim, I was at TJ's yesterday and I couldn't find any Ginger Gelato. Which TJ's did you find it at? I've been going to the Crocker Park one lately and haven't seen it there.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm, that's the TJ I go to (even though I think the one at Eton is a bit better).

It wasn't a TJ brand, it was, something Classics, Classics Collection?

The actual flavor on the label was Fresh Ginger. It was so good. THEY MUST STILL SELL IT.

I was hoping to make homemade ice cream sandwiches with it.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I found it: http://www.traderjoesfan.com/Trader_Joes/Products/Desserts,_Sweets/Classico_Gelato---Ginger_Flavor/details/

Hopefully they get it in. It's so smooth and has a wonderful flavor.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Hmm, interesting. If you find it locally please let me know. I want to try it.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger gwen said...

NO MORE... in Columbus, Ohio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home