Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Showdown: Coffemate Pumpkin Spice Creamer vs. International Delight Pumpkin Pie Spice Creamer

While walking towards the dairy section at the grocery store I was happily surprised to see the Coffee-mate Pumpkin Spice Creamer on an aisle end cooler. It was there along with other seasonal favorites like eggnog, peppermint, and gingerbread. I wasn't concerned about those other flavors (at least not until after Halloween is over), all that mattered was that there was one single pumpkin spice creamer left. I quickly snagged it. I then wandered over towards where the rest of the coffee creamers are and I saw that International Delight also had a pumpkin creamer. So as not to infringe on the Coffee-mate name, International Delight has named their creamer Pumpkin Pie Spice.

Since I'm a sucker for all things pumpkin, I bought them both. Then I decided a comparison between the two would be a great addition to the blog.

The best way to begin the comparison is to take a look at the nutritional values:
Both bottles are 16oz. and have a serving size of 1 tablespoon.
The International Delight creamer has 45 calories per serving, Coffee-mate has 35.
The International Delight creamer has 2 grams of fat per serving, Coffee-mate has 1.5.
The International Delight creamer has 7 carbs per serving, Coffee-mate has 5.
On a nutritional value standpoint, Coffee-mate wins out.

Now, I'll take a look at taste: I did my best to make my cup of coffee be the same for each serving (same type of coffee, same concentration, same amount of sugar, same amount of creamer, you get the point) because I wanted to be able to make a clear comparison. In the end, I found both to very good and fulfilling my taste for pumpkin coffee; however, I found that I preferred the Coffee-mate brand more so. The Coffee-mate creamer had a "spicy-er" bite than the International Delight creamer. I brought the creamers into work to get the opinion of my coworkers and they agreed that the Coffee-mate creamer had a stronger spice flavor. One reviewer found that the Coffee-mate creamer had too much spice and would prefer the International Delight.

As for price, the two were approximately the same, but at the time of purchase the Coffee-mate brand was on sale. I paid $1.97 for the International Delight creamer and $1.50 for the Coffee-mate creamer.

In the end, Coffee-mate Pumpkin Spice was my clear winner. It had the spicey bite I was looking for and its a little better nutritionally. The International Delight Pumpkin Pie Spice is good and if you couldn't find the Coffee-mate variety I would definitely recommend that you pick it up.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried the International Delight and found it lacking. When it runs out, I'll get some of the other.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Yea, it just doesn't have the spicy-ness of the Coffeemate brand.

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo i found that the international is WAYYYYYY bommmber than the coffee mate...why? well simple. coffee mate just has too much spice. as in the international actually tastes like a pumpkin pie. plain simple. orange county. what.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i-n-t-e-r-n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l


= insomnia.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Rhett0411 said...

i wanted to ask you about some of your recipes about sweet potatoe apple pie and the banana foster cake

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Rhett,

If you can leave a comment with your email address I will send you a message. Then I can delete the comment that has the address in there.

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

international totally wins...NO hydrogenated oils...may have more sugar and calories, but it has zero melt your brains, stay in your body for years ick.

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Malaki the mosthi said...

I haven't been able to find either brand all day today 7 stores in MI. Lol. Any idea what chains are carrying these in MI? I googled the flavor and found your blog. I recently quit smoking and drinking alcohol. A month on the smokes 3 yrs on alcohol so I am supplementing here. Lol.

 
At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found both of these creamers at Kroger in MI.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with one of the earlier posts. the coffeemate might have less calories but in the long run it is not good for you. hydrogenated oils is trans fat which is not good for your body. especially for the heart. anything with trans fat is not heart healthy

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in Thailand they use coffemate in some seafood dishes it helps get the metalic taste out of clams and mussels

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger bffs said...

Which one tastes closer Dunkin Donuts pumpkin spice coffee? Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home