Thursday, August 03, 2006

A quick note on Brining

Unfortunately there isn't a picture to accompany this post but I felt it important to talk a bit about brining.

I have heard all about putting meat (pork/poultry) into a brine before cooking and how good the food will taste for a while now, but had yet to actually try it. I'm not sure what was holding me back but last night I went for it. I had 2 bone in pork chops that needed to be cooked and I wasn't in a hurry so I decided to give the brine a try.

I mixed warm water with salt, pepper, honey, and rosemary. Once all the salt and honey were dissolved into the water I added the pork chops. I closed up the container and put it in the refrigerator for a few hours. I then baked the pork chops until they were done (still slightly pink inside).

The original plan was to package up the chops (having one for lunch today and the other for dinner tonight) but after trying a little bite last night, I couldn't resist and ate a whole chop. It was the best pork chop I've ever had (at least as far as I can remember).

So, basically, be sure to brine your pork chops. I will try chicken next and let you all know how that turns out.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Blogger Gigamatt said...

My turkeys for Thanksgiving this past year were brined, and OMG were they good.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger naladahc said...

Don't forget, the chicken I made at last year's cookout was also brined.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

And will the chicken at this year's cookout be brined?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home