Thursday, July 20, 2006

Bacon Wrapped Turkey Medallion and Pan Cooked Potatoes

The main piece of this dish is the bacon wrapped turkey medallion. I picked these up at Sam's Club a while back because they looked pretty good and were reasonably priced. This is actually my second attempt to cook one of the medallions. The first attempt went quite badly since I did not thaw the medallion before cooking. Now, don't start yelling at me for not thawing the thing, I was certain that I should have; however, the package stated on how quick cooking they were and it never mentioned the need for thawing. Before I cooked the first one, I looked all over the bag and never saw the word thaw, so I took a chance and followed the directions instead of going with my gut feeling. Needless to say, the first one was burnt on the outside and frozen within.

So for the second try, I let the medallion thaw in the fridge while I was at work. They come individually wrapped so it is easy to make one at a time. They give a couple different cooking options and I opted for pan cooking. All I had to do was put a little oil in the pan and put it over medium high heat, add the medallion and cook for about 8 minutes on each side, the drop down the heat until the temperature probe pops out. Yup, you read it right, these little medallions come with little pop up timers like a full sized turkey.

When the turkey was almost done (well browned on both sides but the timer hadn't popped out), I added some red skin potatoes to the pan. I seasoned them with salt and pepper and dill (I believe, its one of the fresh herbs on my windowsill).

This time, the meal was quite good. The turkey was really moist and the potatoes were good too. I don't remember the price off hand, but I think the medallions ended up being less than a dollar each and for that price, its a real bargain.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger bereweber said...

oh i love those turkey medallions wrapped with bacon! i get them at Trader Joe's all the time, your dish with the potatoes looks delicious! nice recipes and good foods all around your blog, congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home