Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Christmas Eve (almost) Dinner


Each year my family gets together with my Aunt and Uncle for a Christmas dinner. We usually try to have the dinner on Christmas Eve, but due to their work schedules, we celebrated the day before Christmas Eve.

The dinner this year was excellent. The menu was salad with a raspberry vinaigrette, standing rib roast, a potato casserole, roasted winter vegetables, and bread. And plenty of wine. My aunt prepared most of the meal with my brother contributing the potato casserole and I contributed the roasted winter vegetables. Everything was delicious (especially the rib roast).

The roasted vegetables included butternut squash, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and yams. They were baked in an italian dressing and parmesan cheese. I was slightly disappointed with them since even after a long bake some of the vegetables were still rather hard (the carrots mostly). The vegetable flavor was really good, but I would have been happier had they been easier to eat.

For dessert we had my Aunt's famous rum cake. As a neat fact, she said that she has been making this same cake for the last 30 years as an anniversary tradition for her and my uncle. I really enjoyed this dessert, but everyone says that my already being slightly intoxicated led me to like it even more. I recorded the recipe into my cell phone as a voice memo (which I still need to copy down). When the right occasion calls for it, I will try my hand at the rum cake.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Gigamatt said...

I've always wanted to try to make a standing rib roast. One of these days, I will. and by one of these days, i mean one of these years. I've even resorted back to turkey for Friday's dinner, since some folks don't eat pork. (Despite pork and cabbage being traditional new-years dinner.)

Carrots are difficult in roasted veggie dishes. I've found that to get them to roast as quickly as the potatoes requires them being cut much smaller than I would normally like. I've never had turnips and parsnips... what's the flavor like?

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

Turnips and parsnips have a unique flavor. They are both a little sweet. The turnip is sort like a slightly sweeter and more bitter potato. Come to think of it, the parsnip was a little bitter too. I don't think that I would really enjoy either one of them on their own, but mixed with other vegetables they good.

I've also seen people make mashed potatoes by adding some turnips to the mash.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home