Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Pumpkin Waffles with Apple Cider Syrup

Fall is definitely here and with that comes food involving pumpkins and apples. These are some of the best reasons to enjoy fall. The leaves turning and cooler weather are nice, but pumpkin and apple are what really make fall great.

Last year around this time I made lots of pumpkin pancakes, but with the gift of the Belgian Waffle maker, I decided to try pumpkin waffles this time around. Since getting the waffle iron I have tried about all of the mixes and I think the best one for plain waffles is by Krusteaz (some day I will post about "Trader Joe's Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancake and Waffle Mix").

The side of the Krusteaz box had a recipe for apple waffles and I used that for the basis of the pumpkin waffles. In their recipe they used applesauce so I in turn used canned pumpkin and added fresh grated nutmeg and cinnamon for extra flavor.

On their own, the waffles were great, but what's a waffle without syrup. If I had real maple syrup on hand I probably would have used that; since I did not, I decided to make a syrup out of apple cider (it seemed appropriate for the waffles). In a small sauce pan I boiled apple cider and sugar for about 10 minutes until it had cooked down and thickened. Once cooled it thickened to a syrup consistency. I didn't add any spices but if I make this again I'm going to add cinnamon I think.

These waffles were great. This morning I reheated one in the toaster oven and it was just as good. I also thought that a pumpkin butter and whipped cream mix would make a good topping. I might try that the next time around. I'll be sure to post the results.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger naladahc said...

Hmmm. I might even like these.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger John said...

How well did the apple and pumpkin flavors compliment each other? I know both are fall flavors but I am afraid they will conflict with each other in another recipe I am thinking of making.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home