Sunday, September 11, 2005

Bananas Foster Cake


This is my first post of hopefully many more culinary masterpieces.

From the looks of it, Bananas Foster Cake does not fall into the category of masterpiece, but with one bite (see picture), I declare it a success. I've been planning to make this cake for a long while now, but kept putting it off. For some reason I decided this weekend would be the one.

The cake was simple to put together since it uses a yellow cake mix for its base. It reminds me of a pineapple upside down cake but with bananas and pecans instead the pineapple and cherries.

So, the cake is baked with the toppings in the bottom of the dish. The toppings include butter, brown sugar, rum (I used Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum), chopped pecans, and bananas. The only bananas used for this cake are in the topping, but the flavor is present throughout the cake. The cake itself consists of the yellow cake mix, eggs, water, cinnamon, melted butter, and more rum.

As I write this the cake is a little over 24 hours old. I had the first piece within an hour after baking. The cake was still warm and the topping gooey, but the density of the cake itself was pretty light. After chilling in the refrigerator for a few hours, some of the sugary topping seeped into the cake; this was an improvement. Now, 1 day later, a quarter of the cake is gone (having been eaten by me). As for the rest, I plan to take the rest into work tomorrow to share with my friends.

If you are interested in the recipe, send me an email.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger naladahc said...

That looks fantastic! Then again I had a thing for bananas and plantains.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Jeremiah Scott said...

I remade this cake and it came out great again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home