Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Review: Pillsbury Gingerbread Dough Sheets

I was at Super Walmart this past weekend and they had these on sale for $2. I figured that for $2, I would give them a try and post the review for my readers. According to the package, you get 2 dough sheets and 2 packages of icing. You provide your own cookie cutter. It says that you should be able to make 24 2" cookies.

Here is what you get when you open the package. Since it is gingerbread, used the appropriate cutter. The suggestion on the package was that you should take the extra dough that is too small to be cut and roll into balls, roll the balls in sugar, then flatten. I followed the directions fully.

I ended up getting 22 cookies. Had I planned the cutting a little better, I probably could have gotten one more gingerbread man and I could have made the rolled cookies a little smaller which would have given me the 2 dozen that the package states.

I baked the cookies for about 10 minutes. After they were cooled, I iced the cookies using the provided packs.


The icing packs were not the easiest to work with since they are small and cutting a round opening in them isn't that easy. I probably could have done a better job on the icing but it was already 9:30 on Sunday night and I wanted them done so I could go to bed.


Now for the review. For the price and the ease, these are well worth it. Granted, you could make a dough for much less, but it makes a mess and you still have to roll it out. The cookie was a bit more on the crisp side than what I prefer, but for gingerbread, it was alright. The rolled cookies were a little thicker and a bit softer and I liked those ones better. If you are one who makes gingerbread houses or ornaments, this dough would work very well for those purposes. You would probably have to buy a couple packs to get enough dough to make a decent sized house, but I think that it would be justified just for the fact that the dough sheets are a uniform thickness.

Actually, after writing that, I think I might try my hand at making a little gingerbread house this year. I haven't made one in years and that could be something to fun to do. If I make one, I'll be sure to post pictures.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! This is exactly what I was searching for and it's good to know someone else has done the research. My boys and I will be using this to construct a Roman Colosseum from gingerbread and I'm glad this will be suitable.

Kathy in VA

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did u find sheets? Our walmarts.dont have.them

 

Post a Comment

<< Home