Monday, November 13, 2006

Apple Sweet Potato Pie

This is a creation that I would like to call my own (well, with a little help from my father). The idea for this pie came from a recipe card that my dad picked up at the grocery store. It was for an apple and sweet potato casserole. He gave me the recipe and suggested that I make it. From looking at the ingredients, I figured that it would make a good pie. Apple Pie is good and Sweet Potato Pie is good, so combined it should be good.

I cheated on the pie crust, using ready made; but the rest was all homemade. I'm not going to go into the whole recipe here, but if anyone is interested, drop me an email or a comment and I will give you all the details.

This pie was actually made in 2 steps because I wasn't fully happy with the result after the first baking. After the first bake, I had basically made the casserole on the recipe card, but in a pie crust. It tasted much more like a side dish than a dessert.

On the suggestion of my father (who got to taste the pie during the first step), I rebaked the pie with a cinnamon-sugar syrup. I boiled some sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg until thickened and poured the syrup over the pie. I then baked the pie for another hour at 300 C so that they syrup could soak in and the sweet potato would get more tender. The result above was from after the second bake.

If you don't like sweet potatoes, you will probably not like this pie (even after the second bake). But if you like them, then this is the pie for you.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jeremiah,

One of my friends is a commercial baker who specializes in baked goods made with sweet potatoes. One of her most requested items, especially at Thanksgiving, is a Sweet Potato with Apples pie. It's absolutely delicious! A great combination. I have a web site that's all about sweet potatoes. Check it out when you have a chance http://www.All-About-Sweet-Potatoes.com

Ellen

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Russ said...

I love this sight and am glad to see that you are in Cleveland. I'm going to blogroll you! It's cool to see another guy who likes to cook...although I think your skillz blow mine away. Thanks!

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Jeremiah. My husband asked me to make an apple sweet potato pie for my father in law's birthday. So, I googled it and yours look delicious!!! Would you mind sharing your recipe? I would greatly appreciate it...I love to bake, but am not all that good at creating :)

Thanks!
cncreece@netzero.com

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

What are the chances of getting this recipe right away? I have been thinkinga bout doing this and have the taters peeled and not sure where to go now! LOL

That's me...

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance of getting this recipe years later??

Michelle
Richelieu@comcast.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home